It’s festival season! What is your music genre? Blues, rock, country, jazz, indie, hip hop, techno? There’s a music festival for everyone. Many of the festivals are at The Empire Polo Club in Indio (Indio’s tag line is City of Festivals – go figure). It is a huge undertaking for the cities to coordinate the festivals to make it as smooth as possible for visitors, and most importantly residents, especially those residents in communities near the Polo Club.
I am very amazed at how popular the Coachella Music and Art Festival has become. It started in a 1993 concert that Pearl Jam performed while boycotting venues controlled by Ticketmaster, and then expanded to 3-days and now spans 2 weekends. People come here from all over the world. Coachella is one of the largest, most famous, and most profitable music festivals in the United States. In 2014, the festival tallied an attendance of 579,000 and grossed a record-breaking $78.3 million.
During that time, it is very difficult to find a place to stay especially as it gets closer to the festival. Some residents will not rent during those weekends, and others charge top dollar for the time period. A vacation home is furnished and stocked with kitchenware, linens and more. But, remember, most places are booked a year in advance. If you are without a place to stay during the festival, contact me about real estate vacation homes.
Coachella Music Festival has become a celebrity hangout and is highlighted in magazines like Vogue and Bazaar, showing models and movie stars wearing Coachella street fashion. It’s a bohemian look with floppy hats, denim shorts, wellies. Keep in mind that it can get very dusty at the polo grounds as it is a real polo field. Polo is played there on Sundays through March. But a little heat and dust does not keep the music lovers away.
In addition to festivals at the Empire Polo Club, White Weekend and The Dinah are held at various Palm Springs hotels, clubs and convention center.
Here is the 2015 Festival schedule:
- February 28: Rhythm, Wine and Brews Expedition at Empire Polo Club
- Headliners: Slightly Stoopid, Ozomatli and Fishbone
- April 1-5: The Dinah 2015
- Headliners: Christina Perri, Meghan Trainor, Crysta Waters. (Coinciding with the Ladies Professional Golf Association’s Kraft Nabisco Championship Golf Tournament, formerly the Dinah Shore Golf Championship, The Dinah has become the world’s largest lesbian event.)
- April 10-12 and April 17-19 Coachella Valley Music Festival at Empire Polo Club
- April 15 Tachevah, Palm Springs Block party in April intended to entertain fans midway through the 2 Coachella Valley music and art festivals
- April 24, 25, 26 Stagecoach
- Headliners are Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, Blake Sheldon. Empire Polo Club
- April 24-27 White Party Palm Springs
- Headliner is Kelly Osbourne to be crowned 2015 queen (known as the largest gay dance music festival in the world)
- May 2 Desert Lexus Jazz Festival at Indian Wells Tennis Garden
- Headliner: Tower of Power
- May 14-17 Joshua Tree Music Festival
Ready to rock? See you at the Rhythm, Wine and Brews Festival on February 28.